Monday, March 29, 2010

Vintage Rabbit


An Easter long ago the Easter Bunny gave three little girls a Beatrix Potter book in their baskets. How I loved the tale of Benjamin Bunny, and the book with its tiny little size and illustrations, and colors. I had that memory in mind when starting this card. I was the lucky recipient of Jane's digital Vintage Rabbit and finally tried him (and digital in general) out. I have to admit that working with digital images is a bit of a challenge for me, which is surprising considering I spent four years of my life devoted to that subject. I started with the beautiful blocked panel sketch from Nina. My intentions were to have the bunny stand out on a solid background and a pattern on the bottom to balance him out so I manipulated some digital stripes and printed it in tones to match the rabbit. I attempted printing my own sentiment as well, but my printer wasn't for that so it is handwritten instead. The colors were inspired by this bag at PonderandStitch's shop for the Etsy Inspired Challenge. All the edges were distressed, including the rabbit, for a worn, well-loved look. This card took a bit longer than I had hoped and there are a few things I would have done differently, but the important thing for me to remember is that I learned a few lessons to apply when working digital files the next time.

Supplies Used: Cream Cardstock from The Paper Company, Pink and Yellow DSP from SEI, Vintage Rabbit Digital Image from Squigglefly, SU Close to Cocoa, Pretty in Pink, Barely Banana and Certainly Celery Ink, Colorbox Chalk Ink in Creamy Brown, SU Close to Cocoa Marker, Twine, Fiskars Scallop Border Punch, SU Blender Pens, McGill Tag Punch, Button (unknown source)


12 comments:

  1. This is a very sweet Easter Card. I appreciate the well loved look you were going for. You know how I choose a book at the second-hand shop? I choose the ones whose binding is well worn. It means it's been read more than once was once dearly loved.

    I still have to try my hand at the digital stamps but I've been putting all the helpful hints in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL job you did, Karen! I love how you used Jane's digital vintage Bunny! Good luck with the challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the tripe panel at the bottom. it really helps the bunny to pop! beautiful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just GORGEOUS!! LOVE LOVE the colours and the vintage/distressed look! BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty and I love the story! Thanks for playing EtsyInspired this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is really lovely- I've totally been loving bunnies lately! Thanks for using my snap pouch as an inspiration. You did a great job! :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! Love the bunny, the color combo, stripes & distressing. You pulled everything together so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the distressed bunny...fabbie card!! I love working with digi-images!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely, Karen. The pink background really made the bunny stand out. I love all the distressing, too and your handwriting is beautiful. Thanks for playing with my sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous! Digital is hard for me... you seem to be rocking it!

    ReplyDelete