Sunday, May 2, 2010

Encouragement


He told me to never give up. He told me to keep my head up and smile. He told me to be thankful for what I have. He told me he believed in me. He told me that things always work out in the end. He told me he would always be there for me. He was right.
My father was visiting from out of state this weekend and this was made for him. I appreciated the design of a bold brown image against a delicate pattern on this Etsy Inspired Challenge image by Isabell's Umbrella. I covered the petal only portion of the crocus image with glossy accents and added score lines framing the woodgrain pattern for additional interest. The hanger thread was added to balance out the design and to replace the need for an envelope. I also tried this idea out on a purple and yellow pastel background but unfortunately the glossy accents got the better of me. Mistakes so happen-sometimes for the better-and I am happy to complete my own challenge to create a masculine enough card that uses a flower image.


Supplies Used: Cardstock: Brown and Chocolate from Archer's Paper Clear Acrylic Stamps: Woodgrain Silhouettes from Wplus9 Ink: Colorbox Chalk Ink in Chestnut Roan and Creamy Brown, Versamark Embellishments: Rain Dots (Metallics) by Cloud 9, Gold Thread by Stampin Up, Glossy Accents from Ranger Tools: Score-pal

17 comments:

  1. Karen what a great masculine card! I love the woodgrain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Karen! What an awesome card you made for your Dad! So sophisticated, beautiful and manly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card for your dad--love the glossy accents on the petals! I love even more what you wrote about him at the start of your post! I'm blessed to have an amazing father too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely card for your dad. It's the woodgrain that really gives it that masculine feel. Fantastic layout! Your posts are inspiring. I don't know how much I'm going to be posting now that we've made an offer on a house!. I'll fill you in soon as I know it's been accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome masculine card! And I love your post and all of the wonderful things you said about your dad---so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very elegant masculine (can i say that?) card! love your sweet post about your father, too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! That made me a little teary! What a great story about your dad and a truly lovely card to go with it. I need to call my dad now and tell him I love him :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an elegant masculine card. I love that there is a flower image on it but it STILL looks guy-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful and the sentiment is just meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is awesome! love your cards-

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you hit the nail on the head. The colors are a great compliment to the Etsy inspiration. I am going to have to pull out my diamond glaze and try some more glossy accents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many incredible elements here: hanging thread, glossy accents, your layout... scored framing of the woodgrain... fantastic card for any man!

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. belated congrats on being in Kristina's top 10 for her one-layer challenge! So glad to see your card there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so amazing! Thank you so much for playing EtsyInspired this week!

    ReplyDelete