Monday, May 29, 2017

Dahlia


These were the colors of the dahlias I planted last year, and tried to weather through the winter in the cold. Unfortunately the bulbs didn't make it, so I'll have to try again this year! Such a beautiful flower dahlias are.


I'm playing along with the lovely May Altenew Inspiration Challenge with the shades of pinks and greens. I'm still trying to perfect this loose watercoloring style, as I love it so much. I heat embossed in black onto watercolor paper some blooms and buds from the Dahlia Stamp Set, stems from Remember This and a few leaves from Beautiful Day.


I then watercolored them with a combination of zig markers and Gasnsi Tambi Watercolors. Theres a touch of splatter that I am so fond of as well. I added white heat embossed sentiment from Everyday onto a black sentiment of cardstock. I finished the card with some White Blizzard Nuvo Drops.

9 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous, Karen! I'd say it's a winner! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the loose water coloring Karen. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! This is a great card and colors!!
    We have loads of bulbs in the ground in MN; but there are a couple that my Beloved takes up each fall and re-plants in the spring, the crocus and the gladiolas. The tulips go in each fall (and our bloom has gotten better and better!) and the iris stay in the ground. The garden here is just amazing (I credit Steve's first wife who was a Master gardener and his own efforts to continue her gardens). Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the watercolour wash look, especially in bright pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card . Love it and your outline colouring .

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness this is so gorgeous! I am always amazed how you continue to outdo yourself!! I have found that dahlias need to be in a raised bed here- if it is too wet over the winter where they are planted they do not make it. I know you are likely colder- so not sure if that plays a part too- but if you have an area that is a bit higher might be worth a try. My grandma used to dig her dahlias for the winter- but that's too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the artsy vibe!! So gorgeous, Karen! Thanks so much for playing Altenew May Inspiration Challenge! FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks to me like you've pretty much mastered the loose watercolor style! This is so gorgeous and bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete