Thursday, September 23, 2021

MFT Superstar 2021 Contest


I look forward the the MFT Card Design Superstar Contest every year, it always makes me stretch my supplies and think of them in new ways. I'm showcasing a card in each one of the categories. Wow, there are some fantastic entries and I'm inspired and in awe of each of them.


This first card is an entry for the Color Virtuoso category. I was very intrigued by the Copic Blending Free Coloring technique by Yana Smakula. I thought it would be challenging to try to color the cute critters from the retired MFT set, Forest Friends. So that is what I did!


I used the coordinating DieNamics and then added some MFT cardstock for the grass, and some clouds cut from the retired Cloud 9 DieNamics. I finished the card with a stamped sentiment, also from Forest Friends.


This next card is my entry for the Clean & Simple Genius category. I wanted to mimic the look of a shark swimming from the depths of the ocean. I started with a white panel, die cutting a circle with the A2 Circle DieNamics, and then followed with a half inch smaller circle, etc. in shades of blue cardstock, finally ending with a one inch circle with the black showing through. I mounted this to a cardbase with dimensional adhesive. 


I finished the card with a copic colored, fussy cut shark from BB Friends with Fins, some fussy cut hearts and a stamped sentiment from that same set.


This last card is my entry for the Innovation Master category. I sat and stared with my MFT stamps and DieNamics laid out in front of me and the vision of a cat clawing it's way down some curtains came to mind.


I started by die cutting the two Essential Sentiment Rip Strips DieNamics onto some MFT cardstock in a slimline panel. I then mounted the panel to another panel covered with gray ink and the Small Brick Wall Stencil. The brick panel was then mounted to a slimline card base.


To make the interactive part of this card, I fussy cut two kittens from BB Cool Cat, then adhered an acetate strip between them, first stamping and heat embossing an arrow from Interactive Labels at the bottom of the acetate strip. The cat was then adhered to the top of one of the rip strips using strong adhesive.


I stamped, colored and fussy cut a kitten from BB Cat-astrophe, adhering him to the bottom of an already ripped strip. I finished the card with a stamped and heat embossed sentiment, also from Cat-astrophe. To make this card interactive, the recipient would pull down the acetate strip, ripping the purple cardstock from the card base, dragging the kitten down the "curtains".

I had super fun creating these cards, each was a challenge for sure, but one I certainly enjoyed!

1 comment: