Friday, October 1, 2010

The Story


It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes, or bags!

Gathered around his feet at Christmas time in our flannel jammies, my father would read How the Grinch Stole Christmas to us. Then as we grew older, we watched the cartoon on television. Each time I read the story to my boys or see the cartoon (only in the original version with the nice bright, bold colors and the low deep narrative voice), I realize that the story never gets old. It is all about carving roast beef, Cindy Lou Who and the true spirit of Christmas. The story is one of my favorite holiday books and movies, back then and now.


My favorite childhood holiday movie provides a clue for the newest releases at Practicing Creativity Designs as well as the inspiration for my clean and simple, easily reproduced in mass quantities card. Check out the current Caardvarks Challenge, I think this card fits the bill! Today, make sure you hop along to Dana's, Paulina's and Courtney's blogs and a leave comment, as a winner will be chosen at random from one of the comments on all of our blogs to win both sets! That's four chances to win!

I'd love to know what your favorite childhood holiday movie was and if it's still the same today. Please check back tomorrow, and the the rest of the week, it's going to be an exciting one!

Supplies Used: 
Cardstock: (Kraft) PTI
Patterned Paper: (Blue) Daisy D Designs
Stamps: (Christmas Wonder) Practicing Creativity Designs
Ink: (Onyx Black) Versafine
Embellishments: (Green Striped Ribbon) May Arts, (Black Brads) SU
Other: (White Gel Pen) Signo by Uniball, (Black Pen) Pilot, (Labels 4 Nesties) Spellbinders, (Corner Chomper) WR Memories

32 comments:

  1. LOVE your card! Simple but very elegant!

    As far as a guess on the release... I was thinking a nativity set but not sure how that ties into the Grinch. Hmmm.

    My favorite Christmas movie as a child would have been the Charlie Brown Christmas! Still watch it today and I don't have children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your CAS style, simple yet so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karen, I've missed your creations in my blogging absence!!!!!!!! You continue to amaze me. I'm sorry that I have never responded to the wonderful gift you sent me. I loved it. I still love it. I actually have a card in the works that was inspired by the "hi" card you gave me. I hope you don't mind if I put a photo of it on my blog. Anyway, I can't wait to see what everyone has in store for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the non-trad colors here Karen. Seems we were on the same wavelength using the same set and some different colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun card Karen...I love the look of your blog...

    Must be a new holiday set?

    I've always considered The Sound of Music as a holiday movie...still love that one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your CAS card! I can't wait to see the new sets, I hope they are Christmas ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card and fabulous ribbon. The Grinch is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how fun! Beautiful card, Karen! I love the CAS style, and Christmas is my favorite holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the card...that ribbon is just perfect!

    Favorite holiday movie is "A Christmas Story" and yes I still watch it every year =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmmm...still none the wiser on the release this month apart from it might be Christmas theme! I'm loving your fab CAS Christmas card with the orginal colour combo and fab layout!
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas too! I still get excited every time it comes on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas too! I still get excited every time it comes on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have several favorites that I watch every year and can't pick one. Hubby's favorite is It's a Wonderful Life. My Mom still calls to tell me the Grinch is on TV. LOL

    I'm assuming the new stuff is Christmas related...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty, cas card. Love the big ribbon... Beautiful. I am assuming the new set is a Christmas set, but what kind to be exact, I just don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, im guessing that the new set has famous quotes from Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this card! Great colors!

    Congrats on being on the GDT at Limelight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely card.
    I have no special book or film for Christmas. :-(

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your card---especially the ribbon and the way you colored in the word "Peace" with the white gel pen!!

    My favorite Christmas movie has always been A Christmas Story!! So funny!!!!! But, I also love Charlie Brown's Christmas and The Grinch!!

    I'm going to guess that there are some presents or sled images in the new set.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So simple yet so creative! I love the non-traditional colours that people are using for Christmas cards these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card! I just love that thick Ribbon behind the bold tag! I loved Miracle on 34th Street! (Among many other movies!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i never get tired of the grinch-so i'm guessing its my fav:) gorgeous color combo and i love that ribbon, karen:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmmm, now I'm going to guess presents on this new stamp set! My fav is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Karen I can't wait to see the set you helped design! I am sure it will be amazing. My favorite holiday movie is Home Alone! Ahhh! I think I will get it out this weekend, dust it off and pop it in the DVD player!
    Have a wonderful, relaxing weekend!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the quote! Great card- that ribbon is really a show-stopper!! Can't wait to see what you've designed this month! :) although I have no idea how the movies are tying in!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm always amazed to read how you got your inspiration! Your card is amazing Karen! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the card! And I love the Grinch too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic CAS card, Karen. I love how you did the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would like to exchange links with your site thebalddragonfly.blogspot.com
    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
  29. love the big ribbon. awesome card!

    ReplyDelete