Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Tutorial Attempt



He asked his girl if she had a friend that his friend could write too, as his friend was sort of lonely out there in the south by himself. She said she had the perfect friend in mind and the friends of the friends started writing. Letters. The old school way to fall in love. A long-distance relationship that has lasted 37 years with many more to come. Happy Anniversary to the best parents in the world.

I wanted to something a bit different and new to me with sprays/mists. Shimmerz is having a Hooray for Halloween Challenge so I grabbed a few supplies, my new set from Schlosser Designs and created the above little number. (Original wreath concept found here.)

So here's my attempt at a tutorial:

 Start with watercolor paper, a punched circle, distress and pigment ink and a stamp of your choice.
Make sure your paper sized for just a bit of trimming on your final piece-
that way, where you spray is a bit more controlled.

 Stamp image repeatedly around circle.

Experiment by spraying Shimerz Vibez at different angles.
(Directly on top of the piece and/or one side or the other.)

And different heights from your paper.
The spray acts like water-the image looses its crispness
and takes on a muted effect due to the watercolor paper.

The number of spritzes depends on how deep you want your coverage and how well you want your coverage of color.

Remove the circle and spray lightly to tone down brightness of paper where the mask was.

If you've made it thus far, a reminder to you to enter my two giveaways found here and here! Thank you all so much for your kind words and wishes, and suggestions!

Supplies Used:
Paper: (Mustard Cardstock) Recollections, (Watercolor Paper) Archers

Stamps: (Furnishing Fun) Schlosser Designs
Ink: (Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Distress) Ranger, (More Mustard, Pumpkin Pie) Stampin' Up
Embellishments: (Vibez Spray in Penny Pincher) Shimmerz, (Brown String) May Arts
Tools: (Circle Punch) Creative Memories

38 comments:

  1. This is so clever. Love the wreath concept and execution - plus your color selection is beautiful. Great tutorial - you sound like an old pro to me, Karen. And I'm dying to know how you took the photos - did you have someone else take them? Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oh, and the sweet story about your parents...so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So original and striking, Karen. Great tutorial, too! I love that you used just a simple embellishment of tied twine to let the image take center stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen,
    What a great card! I NEVER thought of making a wreath that way - and I have a lovely stamp that would work for this technique!!! How exciting!

    The story of how your parents met is lovely - so sweet! I do believe it's the best way - to get to know someone before we let our hormones get in the way of our brains. I wish I had gone about finding Mr. Right this way.

    What a lovely tribute.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible wreath! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you are AMAZING!!!!! This is absolutely fantastic!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet story! Great tutorial! I am going to have to try this when I get back from vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic story! This is a great tutorial!!! You are a genius! I bet your mind never stops does it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful story! And I loved the card, and your tutorial. I'm going to give that one a go!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great love story!!!:)

    A really gorgeous creation Karen! :)
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun, some day I'll give mists a try, in the mean time it's fun to see your creative approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautifully done!! Your card is so pretty & your tutorial very clear!! I love those colors together & the overall design! Congrats to your parents- what a sweet story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely story about your parents.
    Great card as usual, fantastic colour choice and brilliant tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for the tutorial! Thanks - I love the little insight into how you create :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking card and thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary to your parents! What a great tutorial :) I made it all the way to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet story about your parents! Thanks for the tut! What a fun technique!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! I love how creative you were to design the wreath from that set! I can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful card and a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I Love to hear "love stories!" Happy Anniversary to your parents!!! :)

    I REALLY LIKE your card!!! I like the fact that you used a flower stamp to create a wreath!!! GENIUS!!! :) I also like shimmerz spray! Your card is LOVELY!!! :)

    Becky Green

    ReplyDelete
  21. Quelle façon originale de faire une couronne ! Merci pour ce tuto. Désolée d'écrire en français, je suis un peu pressée ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahhhh...love the story about your folks...sooooo sweet!

    FAB card...perfect for the fall...great tut!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous...there you go again getting all creative for us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous card. Love your tutorial. Love the layers of stamping, misting and texture.. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. FABULOUS post and tutorial!! Love this gorgeous card!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW, I really like that wreath. It is fabulous. Beautiful card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. NEVER would I have thought to use those stamps like you did! Amazing project and tutorial! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super tutorial, Karen! And a gorgeous card too - love those colours!
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow! This is great!
    THank You Karen, your card is beautiful and unique and your tutorial is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a gorgeous wreath. beautifully done. thanks for the tutorial, too. amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is beautiful and interesting Karen, and I think you did a great job with the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very beautiful card. I love your tutorial. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow - such a cool effect. and awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Seriously love this tut Karen. I can't wait to try it myself thanks to your wonderful photos and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Karen- your tutorial is wonderful and the card is absolutely gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for choosing SHIMMERZ! You used the product beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow this is really gorgeous.
    Fantastic wcard.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ohhhh lala!! I love the colors you used and the creative way that you used Shimmerz! Awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete