Thursday, October 13, 2011

Halloween History


"Hundreds of years ago, winter was an uncertain and frightening time. Food supplies often ran low and, for the many people afraid of the dark, the short days of winter were full of constant worry. On Halloween, when it was believed that ghosts came back to the earthly world, people thought that they would encounter ghosts if they left their homes. To avoid being recognized by these ghosts, people would wear masks when they left their homes after dark so that the ghosts would mistake them for fellow spirits." ~ History.com


This week, CAS-ual Fridays is asking for a clean and simple Halloween creation that does not feature any orange, not a speck! There's a lot more details, challenge rules, information about our fabulous sponsor, Clear Dollar Stamps, and great inspiration from the other Girl Fridays over at the CAS-ual Fridays blog.

My card was inspired by the above photo from this site. I sprayed layers of purple and black mist onto a card base, added the sentiment sticker, stamped the spooky spiders and web and finished the card off with some burlap string.

I can't wait to see your no orange Halloween creation!

Supplies:
Cardstock: (White) OfficeMax

Stamps: (Spider from Happy Halloweenie) Skipping Stones Design, (Web from Spooky Tags) Our Craft Lounge
Fiber: (Black Burlap String) May Arts
Other: (Sentiment Sticker) SRM Press, (Purple, Black Spray Mist) Shimmerz
Tools: (Corner Chomper) WR Memory Keepers

34 comments:

  1. Fabulous, and thank you for your supply list, I think I have that web... now if only Halloween was on my very short list... Maybe you ladies will inspire me to do a layout with a cutie dinosaur boy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did NOT know that and am so glad that I do now - thank you for that little tidbit of info. And OH MY GOSH - could this project be any more amazing?! You are so rocking those incredible mists that always make your projects to textured and ethereal. You're a genius with them!! Those spiders, however, are too real looking . . . I think there's something like that in the corner of my bedroom. Eeekkkkk! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those spiders are CREEPY!!! yikes! I do love the purple & black, but those spiders.... ack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the history bit, very interesting! And your card is super cute and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the history lesson and I love the purple with the spiders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the history...I did not know that. Gorgeous misting Karen...and I love your inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. misting...I love that misting....excellent card Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously spooky and oh so cool. Love the misting, perfect effect for a halloween card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous card, Karen! Love the purple and black combo and love the fun misted background. Those images are just fabulous, too. Love the simple twine under the sentiment. And thanks so much for sharing the Halloween history. LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun card Karen! Love the purple mist and those fun spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this card is great, I love those creepy spiders and the sprayed background.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is perfect! I love the purple spray mist and the thread that looks like a spider web. I will definitely have to join in on the fun this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card!!! I love your Halloween history too. I never knew that!! Thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE purple for Halloween! The spray mist looks fantastic, and those spiders are so creepy-cool! What a fun challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. fun Halloween card. love the purple mist and that spider stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooo! Ooooo! (Now I sound like an owl--LOL!). The purple misting is so fun! I love your Halloween card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Surely the ghosts from the spirit world know better than to think the living wearing some masks are their kind?? Now I'm intrigued, thanks for sharing that, and it's one wickedly awesome card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your card!! The spider are really scary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those spiders are scarrry! LOVE your misting:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your card!
    Great post Karen!!
    such a pleasure to come and visit you everyday!!

    Thank You~

    ReplyDelete
  21. really cool halloween card, Karen! thanks for the history of the origin of the holiday, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome card, the spiders are so creepy! :)
    hugs
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfectly creepy, but in a good way (hee hee)! Love the background!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the misted bkgd, karen:) interesting history, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Halloween card!! Love how you did the background!

    ReplyDelete
  26. GREAT little snippet on the history of Halloween! I LOVE learning things like that! And your card is AWESOME! The misted background and those spooky images make a perfect combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it but those spiders are freaking me out!!! hehe ;)

    I love the way you've misted it, it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oohhh, so creepy and gorgeous all at the same time. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the reminder on the Halloween HIstory lesson. Those are some creepy spiders. I am not a fan of spiders and our new house is backed by woods and we have a lot of them.....eeewww!!! Creeps me out! Went from not having critters in Hawaii to lots of spiders....eek!

    Thanks for sharing another awesome creation!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Eeeek; what creepy crawly spiders! Superb card and awesome historical facts!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this sprayed background in purple, it looks gorgeous with those black spiders/sentiment and web :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. What great misting! You don't need orange with all that purple!

    ReplyDelete