Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pressed



I often wonder if my boys' eyes will turn from a deep chocolate brown to hazel, like mine did. Is that a trait that they will inherit from me? What about my little one's caring nature and interest towards all things little and furry-will that continue until he's older? Or my oldest's fascination with the social studies-will he grow up to be the next adventurer?

My friend Erin is the guest designer over at Yvonne's blog, Do More with Less, and she showcased this fabulous faux letterpress technique. I started with some watercolor paper and a slightly watered down mix of green and brown distress ink on the damask embossing plate. After running it through, I inked the edges and finished the card with some string, a tag and pin. The end result is a stunning mix of ink patterns and texture. Because of the colors I've used and the lovely results by using watercolor paper, I'm going to enter this into Moxie Fab World's Textured to Perfection Challenge.


Also, Young Crafter's Unite challenged participants to create a coordinating envelope, so I carefully ran just the flap through as well to create an embossed patterned. The front of the envelope recieved an inking treatment on the edges.



Supplies:
Cardstock: (Kraft) PTI

Stamps: (Mega Mixed Messages) PTI
Ink: (Peeled Paint, Vintage Photo Distress) Ranger
Fiber: (Natural Burlap String) May Arts
Tools: (Damask Impression Plate, Tag Die) PTI
Other: (Hat Pin, Bead, Watercolor Paper)

35 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Karen! What a cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Karen - you've inspired me to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous green color! I don't think I've ever tried this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Karen! Love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, love the inking technique! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done, Karen!! Love the colors and patterns....and textures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning, stunning... I knew you'd do wonders with the technique, love the colors you've chosen and what a perfect matching envelope. Woo hoo! Thank you for joining me over at Do More with Less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the word Hazel makes me happy :) love that word and your card is really awesome looking! The colors are so well coordinated and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this card Karen! Fabulous green and such a great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, karen!! I love the depth of you card!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvellous technique Karen and what a great finished effect, love the matching envie too :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. my Nana & Mom's eyes did the same thing- mine are still pretty brown, but wonder if they will change too... and if it will happen to Had's!
    I LOVE this- that is one of my fave plates to do it with, and love the color you've achieved! absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing Karen, love the colours you achieved :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely beautiful! I love the colors and might have to give that technique a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous card. Love the color and texture. would have to try the technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such texture, beautiful colors and just an overall gorgeous design. lovely karen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning work Karen! I thought it was patterned paper! Beautifully executed! :)

    Thanks for playing along with my guest Erin's challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Karen. Jonathon was a toe head when was little and keeps getting darker. Fun to watch how they change.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous!!!!!!! Check you out..love the coordinating envelope too...a gift in a card.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous Karen!! I didn't realize that your first picture was your project. I thought that was your inspiration photo!! Fabulous!!! I hope you had a good weekend and an even better week!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man - true “Karen” style!!!! I LOVE this!!! You distress ink like no one’s business!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful as always!!! Love the envelope, thanks for playing at YCU!

    ReplyDelete
  23. such a pretty card--love that technique, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is absolutely gorgeous, Karen! i love the texture that the tattered watercolor effect gives.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this is stunning, Karen! I love the mix of colors you used. You and Jen are inspiring me with this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simply stunning. Love muted green colour and the description of your eyes. My daughter calls her hazel eyes, olive and that is what this card and post reminded me of. I just love the softness of this card.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a beautiful way to decorate an envelope! It looks beautiful =) Thank you so much for joining us at Young Crafters Unite!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is gorgeous! I love the texture. I'm off to check out the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Smashing!!! I don't know how I missed this post! So glad I did because I did not want to miss this beauty!!! Amazing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Simply wonderful! I really love the way you've decorated the envelope to match - it looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is just gorgeous! You always know how to make a card soft and beautiful. Thanks for playing along with our challenge at Young Crafters Unite!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my, how did I get so far behind??? I can tell there are lots of goodies.
    This is absolutely gorgeous! Love the pin and the matching envelope.

    ReplyDelete