Saturday, June 26, 2010

Be Easy On Me...


Long gone are the days of chubby legs and diapers. He's now long and lean, smart beyond his almost four years. This is why I love to scrapbook. I can remember and he can remember. We can laugh and we can see how similar, yet how different he is. The stickers

Scrapbooking was my first crafty love. I've always felt a bit timid showcasing layouts here on my blog since I do not add a lot of embellishments or raised product to my cards. I've admired from afar the scrappy blogs of Natalie, Valerie and Amy (to name a few) and how they can make it work by showcasing layouts and cards. I'm still learning on the photography end of things, so please be patient with me as I try to figure this process out. Since I scrap on white bases and needed to show the edges, the shadow defines the scope of the 8.5x11 page.
I was inspired to create a sticker border on my layout for the challenge at Method Playground. I've hoarded these fun stickers and I was glad to finally use them. The stickers themselves have all these quirky words of  advice, in animal terms, so I thought it would be fitting to journal about how I can teach my boys things about life, yet they teach me even more.


Since these stickers were just so darn cute, I also created a card featuring a cute little clam. The sketch at Limelight Papercrafts was a great choice to feature the sticker with a lot of white space. I also enjoyed using string on my layout, which was a required element for the challenge.

You Teach Me Layout- Supplies Used: White Scrapbook Page: (Creative Memories) Cardstock: Yellow (Recollections), Stickers: Actopus to Zelephant (K&C Co.) Tools: Black Maker (Pilot) Scallop Border Punch (Fiskars)

Happy as a Clam Card- Supplies Used: Cardstock: Yellow, Green and Orange (Recollections), White (Georgia Pacific), Stamps: Woodgrain Background (Stampin Up) Pigment Ink: Old Olive, Really Rust, Summer Sun (Stampin Up) Sticker Sentiment: Actopus to Zelephant (K&C Co.) Other: Baker's Twine, Thread

20 comments:

  1. oh yay yay YAY!!! I'm so excited to see this!!
    And I totally love it - the stickers you've used are just perfect, and the photos are really cute! I adore the handwritten journaling too. You may have noticed I'm a big fan of the handwriting.... embrace it I say!
    As far as capturing the layout for blog posting - if you don't add many raised embellishments and stick to 8.5x11" then it's really quite easy to scan them in (which is what I assume you've done here). Can't go wrong with that! It just gets trickier when you scrap the 12x12 - and is certainly not something I've mastered by any extent.
    Hope to see some more soon.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling baby! You've captured the main reason I love scrapbooking! I like going back through my photo albums (the old style) but I treasure the times I go through my scrapbooks. The stories, the "snippets" - cute things she said, or a lock of her baby hair. It makes all the difference.

    Your card is so cute - I love the black stitching - and the sticker with the little stitch to hold it (it appears - although being a sticker it's probably already secure!) . . . darling!

    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, too cute. Love all the stitching and that wood grain. awesome.

    lisa a.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute layout. Love those chubby lil legs :) Your card is fabulous too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your baby page is adorable, karen! love the bakers twine on your card-i'm seeing that used more and more. great job on mandys sketch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blast from the past... I am scared to try scrapbooking (I take too many photos). I think I'll stick with cards. Love the stickers. I've found a few great stickers in my stash and have been thinking of using them, you might just inspire me to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome to see a 'Karen' layout. Your cardmaking style definitely carries over to your page making style. I love it - love the sticker border and how you journaled on the line you drew.
    I think your photo is just fine and I'm looking so forward to seeing more of your pages (and your adorable boys!). Thanks so much for sharing Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Karen, I really love the pictures on your layout! Adorable! Those stickers are the perfect embellishment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What happy chappies! Great layout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you're sharing your scrapbooking, what a cutie pie! And the layout is awesome, and the card is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the layout of your cutie-pie! Adorable card too! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh you shd totally share more!!! i would love to learn from you bc i think our styles are somewhat similar - leaning on the CAS style and i have soo much trouble with scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. precious photos!!!

    adorable card, love the stitching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A L.O YEAH! I love it Karen and your card is darling!
    Happy Sunday ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to reach in and squeeze those sweet, chubby legs!! It's sad when those disappear, isn't it?
    Great LO & good for you for using what you've hoarded- I struggle with that EVERY TIME I create!!! ugh.
    (Natalie does make it look easy, doesn't she?)
    And cute Clam card too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yahooooo...I'm soooo glad to see all your pages Karen!!! sooo much fun!!!!! such cute pics to scrap too!!!!!!

    the clam card made me chuckle...soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy as a clam!! So CUTE! I love it, Karen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. fabulous layout!! love the design and awww.... your card is soooo fun!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! And I'm not much of an embellishment person, either, so don't be afraid to post away! Thanks for playing along with us :)

    ReplyDelete