Thursday, June 17, 2010

Saffron Sympathy

 

Explaining the meaning of sympathy to a three year old is rather difficult. It went like this: "Whatcha making Mama? A sympathy card. I wanna help. Sure. What's symfy? Sym-pa-thy means that you are letting someone know that you are thinking about them during their loss. Like when they loose their trucks? Well, no, not really. Like when a person dies. Oh, that's sad." That was it, the end of the conversation.

The current color challenge over at Embellish Magazine also requires the use of a label. I thought it would be interesting to focus on one color and add soft touches of the other two. The label is heat embossed with a pattern and then adhered to the base of the card. I traced/doodled the outside of a nestability and snuggled the label inside, along with stamped flowers. There is some light sponging inside the doodled label as well, the sentiment also has this treatment.


Supplies Used: Cardstock: So Saffron (Stampin Up) Stamps: Woodgrain Silhouettes (Wplus9), For the Love of Dots (Practicing Creativity Designs), Close as a Memory, Linen Background (Stampin Up) Ink: Chocolate Chip, So Saffron, Versamark (Stampin Up) Marker: Chocolate Chip (Stampin Up) Other: Chalk (Stampin Up) Labels 8 Nestabilities (Spellbinders), Clear Embossing Powder (Stampin Up) Twine (May Arts) Tools: Scallop Border Punch, Corner Round Punch (Fiskars)

30 comments:

  1. This is stunning, Karen! I love how you used the background stamps here ... very unique and so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the subtle feel to this card, nice work with the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty Karen. Three year olds are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely Karen! The perfect sympathy card... elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. karen, i love how you stamped the label's background, on this card.

    yesterday, i read katies blog, and you gave her a tip to stamp her clear stamps in versamark, then ink, to help the ink not separate--thank you for sharing that:) some of my clear stamps need that, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a gorgeous card Karen.. love the label effect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty card! Did you ever watch the office? Let me know. I wonder what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card!! The layout and colors are very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly beautiful, Karen! So pretty with those colours. Ah I wish I thought like a kid sometimes; life would be so much easier!
    Sorry you had to make a sympathy card, I'm sure the recipient will love this and the fact you're thinking of them.
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So elegant and perfect for a sympathy card. Beautiful. So glad you didn't have to dive deeper into the conversation with your three year old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card. I like the focus on saffron - one of my favorite shades of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an endearing little story. It can be difficult explaining such things can't it? Love how you used the labels and I love love love how you used those dots! Very pretty card and love the use of cotton thread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. okay, you totally rocked the color challenge...wow Karen...I adore this...I'm such a fan of yellow but don't design with it very often...thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card! I love everything about it. Good luck with the Embellish challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. just wanted to say thanks for your kind words, but you are also fabulously CAS and I love your stuff!! :)
    I am sure any layout you make would rock!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely! Sympathy cards are so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  18. iheart your card! IT IS GORGEOUS!!!! I'll take 10 please! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea, Karen!! This is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my. (deep sigh) these colors are just delicious. I love the background, the shading, the tiny slivers of black . . . I would have never tried "yellow" over "yellow" but it totally works. It's very, very pretty (and saved in my "Karen is amazing" folder!) Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love this beautiful design, Karen! gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  22. congrats on making the top 10, karen:) so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Karen! I love how you go in and add the little hand drawn outlines to your solid stamps when you are using a light color. Very creative.

    Sometimes I just love that kids can be so short and matter of fact. (now if he was a little girl, I'm sure there would have been a ton more questions to follow) Ahh...thank heaven for little boys. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is simply gorgeous!!! So glad you could join us in the Embellish challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. HEY! I never even saw this and I posted a card so similar on Saturday! Freaky Karen...I guess great minds think alike! Of course, yours is much more polished, and full of intricate details, but the ideas were eerily similar! *grin*

    ReplyDelete