Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Sewing Machine


We were safe from the ceramic figurines that lined the shelves as we played under Grandma's dining room table and the surrounding spaces. It was a new world under there and one of our favorite discoveries was the antique sewing machine table with the large foot pedal. Always cold to the touch, heavy and black, but even then it was oh so beautiful with the wrought iron carvings and steel mechanisms.

I thought of that old machine and how it intrigued me even back then while making this card. The background panel is from the digital download of a the sewing pattern instructions found here. I tried to reinforce the sewing theme through the sentiment and the big ol' button.

Speaking of buttons...please join me for this week's CAS-Tastic Wednesday Challenge by making a clean and simple card that showcases Buttons! The week's featured sponsor is Inktegrity Designs.
For more CAS cards featuring buttons, please hop on over to the blogs of the CAS-Tastic Design Team:
Angie
Deb
Maylee
Agata
Barbara
Bonnie Rose
Regina

Supplies Used: Cardstock: Ivory (Wausau Paper)  Chocolate Chip (Stampin Up) Other: Comptuter Generated Sentiments and Background Pattern, Button, Thread

***You still have time to vote for the 2010 PaperCraft's Gallery Idol Competition!***

21 comments:

  1. This is lovely Karen! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, because I came to yours and have found inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet cas card, karen-thanks for the link on the background text:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a wonderful cas card Karen.. love how you made your own background paper and ur own sentiment on the computer.. I need to do that more!! Wonderful subtle soft card.. love it! Love the mend reference with the stitches... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooohhhhhh.....love this!!!! Whatta fabbie challenge and your card is sew very perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, I love the text background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card, Karen! I love the text bg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sentiment a lot. Before I was into stamping, all my cards had computer generated sentiments. I miss them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great card, Karen! Love all the text and that big ol' button is just the right accent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love this, Karen! So sweet and simple but packs a punch with that fab sentiment and your button! Love that touch of zig-zag stitching ... perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love everything about this card!!! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, this is fabulous! I love that you used just a little bit of zig-zag- it seems just right to me! And the sentiment with the background you created...you really are quite brilliant! :)
    (and I was totally picturing that pedal foot...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card Karen! Love the huge button anchoring the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is such a great card Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen,
    It's a neat card - even before I understood that the writing was about sewing. I love the little burst of stitches and had connected that with the word "mend". Wow - you're good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great card, Karen. I have one of those old sewing machines. It's the one my mom learned to sew on. Her dad added a motor to it for her, but it still has that big iron pedal at the bottom (and is incredibly heavy). Love the little touch of zigzag stitches alongside the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm late in the game, but did want to say a big CONGRATS for making Top 20 on Gallery Idol! I was so thrilled and excited for you to see your name on the list way back. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job of carrying the sewing theme throughout the various elements of the card!! Such an awesome design!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this card Karen - right down to the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. simply beautiful! love the text background and the big button!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adore the little stitched accent, you make the most simplest details look so good on your cards, you have such an eye for detail!
    Loving the composition Karen:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karen, I LOVE this card! I'm a huge fan of text!
    I just saved this card into my inspiration folder! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete