Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Barns



There was the barn where we fed lambs with a bottle and asparagus grew on the outskirts. There was the barn that housed all the veterinarian farm animals on the college campus. There was the barn with the baby calves that licked my hand. There was the barn that housed hogs and on warm days the smell waifs down our road...

This money card holder generated from the sketch challenge at Everything but the Kitchen Sink. I was having a tough time deciding what to do that wasn't done already. On my way home from work I noticed that the ten or so barns along my thirty minute drive all had a similar silhouette as the sketch. The barn is all made by hand, starting with woodgrain stamped on red, distresss inks and scored panels. I am sure I'll be trying this again, as it is really realistic in real life (huh?). The sentiment is my handwriting and there is faux stitching. Not really sure you can go hog wild with $2.00 but it is the only cash in this house. And it came from the boys' piggy bank. Hmm, how appropriate.


Supplies Used: Georgia Pacific White Cardstock, Kraft Cardstock from Archers Paper, SU DSP, CM Red Paper, Woodgrain Silhouettes Clear Stamp Set from Wplus9, You're Dandy Clear Stamp Set from Practicing Creativity Designs, So Punny Stamp Set from SU, Versamark Ink, Colorbox Chalk Ink in Creamy Brown, Ranger Distress Ink in Walnut Stain, SU Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip Markers, White Gel Pen by Signo, CM Black Journaling Pen, SU Mat Pack

19 comments:

  1. Karen,

    Love it, everything about it! Especially how you thought to use a woodgrain stamp to make the barn seem more realistic! Very creative!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Karen! What a fun barn! I love your take on this sketch. Your barn looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How CLEVER and CREATIVE!! I adore your design and details, Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AMAZING Karen! All of the detail is fantastic. You didn't miss a thing, it is so rich in texture. The really great thing about this card is although you've used stamps to create it, it's your execution that takes center stage. A true little piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I love, love, LOVE this barn!! You are so incredibly talented. Your use of the sketch with the barn is absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo creative!! Love your take on the sketch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeek! A barn! I love that idea for this sketch! I really like all of your handmade touches and the very subtle use of the ray stamps on kraft paper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh my goodness, Karen! What a fabulous card! How clever of you to make a pocket to use as a money holder! I love the idea! And the little pig in the corner is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I love the texture on the barn. Great job with the sketch Karen. Do you sleep? No seriously!!! You come up with such great stuff all the time so you're either really quick or you don't sleep LOL. Here in Canada we'd have to put a minimum 5 dollar bill in the card because our $2 is a coin. Yes our pockets can get a little heavy. Nice thing is the change doesn't fit too well in my hubby's wallet so I get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! I absolutely love this barn! What a clever and cool take on the challenge! Thank you so much for playing along with EbtKS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW. VERY realistic wood grain barn siding! So impressed. and the $2 bill totally caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still much originality in your cards. This little piggy is adorable. I hope there are not too many mistakes and you understand me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome card! I love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a fun and cute card! love that little piggy in it! also love that you always have a personal story behind your projects. so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for stopping by The Open Window and leaving some love : )

    This is such a creative idea and I love the dimension it gives!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You rocked this girlie! That is a great take on the sketch- and that barn is A.MAZ.ING!!! It looks so realistic! I feel another winner coming on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So stinkin' cute! I have to use my kids money as photo props too, I never have cash! :) Thanks for playing with us in the EBTKS challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely card. I love all those small and nice details, like that little pig and the nice rays in the background.
    Grate job!

    ReplyDelete