Friday, April 2, 2010

The Friday Fish Fry


One of the benefits of living in Wisconsin is the availability of fish fries on Friday nights all year long, instead of only during Lent. You just cozy up to the bar of your neighborhood pub, partake in a beverage of your choice and enjoy the greasy goodness.
This video by Nichole Heady inspired me to make a clean, crisp, masculine card that eludes "fishiness". I simply arranged flat hooks onto a mat and ran them through my Cuttlebug for a nice texture. I wrapped the card with some real fishing line (braided, as it is thicker per my husband) and popped the sentiment label. I did include my own handwriting again as I lacked any birthday sets that fit. I was completely ecstatic about the fish hook pattern and shared the wealth with the hubby. His response: I can think of better things to do with hooks, like catch fish. Oh well, guess you can't win them all over...



(For the record: I am probably the only person in this whole state that doesn't care for fried fish...or the Packers for that matter.)

Supplies Used: Georgia Pacific White Cardstock, SU Really Rust and Chocolate Chip Cardstock, Spellbinders Labels 8 Nestabilities, SU Sweet Sampler Stamp Set, SU Chocolate Chip Ink and Marker, Cuttlebug, Fishing Line, Fish Hooks

17 comments:

  1. What a cool idea and even cooler effect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea - definitely will have to give it a try for hubby's next card

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so cool Karen! Love it! Your handwriting really is fab! I cannot tell ... it looks like a pretty handwritten stamp!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! i mean WOW!!!!! this is super, girl!!! I love love love those fish hook patterns and you made a superb card with it!!! i'll have to walk around my house and see what i can find now! thank you for the incredible inspiration!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever. Thanks for sharing the video link. I esp like the hook texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing that you tried something right away rather than see it and think about doing it later (and then forgetting about it). Now I've been inspired to try something with my cuttle bug myself. Great Masculine card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this is awesome card my husband loves to fish love the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool is this?!? I love what you've done with the fish hooks and the end result looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an original idea! Attractive male card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool idea! Aren't you clever? My husband probably would've said the same thing as yours did, and I would've given him my usual reply: Don't be such a guy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen this is amazing! My Dad is a fisherman and I can't wait to try this for him for Father's Day! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh! LOVE what you did with the fishing hooks! How clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cool Karen! Off to check out the video now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspirational..... love it love it love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing technique!! wish i had a cuttle bug too :-(

    and love the stamp set, have had my eye on it for quite some time now, think now is a good time as any to buy it!!
    did you check out the circle set thats newly released? so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Nichole's video, too! What a great way to make it your own! I've really got to get a Cuttlebug :(! My husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete