Thursday, April 1, 2010

GG's Jewelry



When I was little I used to crawl up onto the lap of my GG (my great-grandma) and admire the jewelry she always wore, it didn't matter if she was going out that day or not. Oh how she looked so pretty and regal, sitting there in her big leather chair.
The colors for the Embellish Challenge with Stitching were so vintage to me and I used what I remember of GG's jewelry to inspire this card. The layout came from this week's CPS. The latest Creating Keepsakes Magazine was full of ideas this month and they shared that you really could stitch on chipboard-although my wrist and my Janome got quite a work out I really like the subtle results of the aqua thread on the kraft board. I colored around some gems with dark brown to age them a bit and distressed all edges as well. In my mind the flower coupled with the gems resembles a brooch or earring from days gone by. I'm so happy that I went this route for these challenges, and thankful that they triggered such fond memories.




Supplies Used: Georgia Pacific White Cardstock, CM DSP, SU Happy Harmony Stamp Set, Maya Road Chipboard, SU Pretty in Pink Ink and Colorbox Chalk Ink in Chestnut Roan, SU Chocolate Chip and Creamy Caramel Markers, SU Scallop Border Trim and Corner Rounder Punches, White Satin Ribbon from Offray, Thread

11 comments:

  1. Be still my heart!! Karen--that stitched chipboard flower with the jewel centre is AWESOME!! Love it with this layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing your beautiful memory with your GG with us. it's so sweet! i LOVE your card!! those stitching are amazing and they add so much to the card! such an elegant card, Karen! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Karen! Love how you stitched on the chipboard! I would be afraid I would sew my finger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this and your memories of your GG...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your visit on my blog!
    Which attractive card in very soft colors.
    I translate my sentences with a translator on internet, then forgiveness for the faults...

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This is gorgeous. The stitching is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the stories you add along with each card, it makes each of your creations even more lovely. Not that they need help in that department! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty take on this challenge! I love how you aged the gemstones. I've had an idea floating around, in my head, FOREVER! I've got to get it created :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great card! Love that flower! Thanks for taking on an Embellish challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is FAB! Am now a follower...come follow with me at Julie's Open Window...would love to have you : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. now that's some impressive stitching, karen! wow!

    ReplyDelete