Monday, April 5, 2010

The Mother Hen


I'm an Artsy Mother Hen, according to MontissoryMom. How appropriate and quite funny! This weekend my mothering skills were none to be desired as Saturday night I was in the Emergency Room with my youngest finding out where in his little body the penny was that he swallowed, Sunday morning the Easter Bunny forgot to hide eggs and that afternoon I attempted making a desert three times. Yep, I'll take Artsy Mother Hen any day!
This was such a fun card to make. I started with the idea of creating an unconventional Mother's Day Card for Happily Ever Challenged: A MOTHER of a Challenge and decided to take the opportunity to paper piece the design for the latest Moxie Fab Challenge: Picking Up the Pieces. The image is from an on-line coloring book. After the paper piecing was complete (the hen in white and red and four different shades of gold for the chicks) I finished the card with stitching that I call "chicken scratch" and there you have it.

Supplies Used: SU Kraft Cardstock, SU DSP (Basic Gray, So Saffron, Riding Hood Red, Garden Green, More Mustard), CM Orange Journaling Pen, Fiskars Scallop Border Punch, Thread, Printer

And for good measure, I can't post about hens without showing some eggs! These were done shortly before the trip to the ER.

19 comments:

  1. Oh no...Emergency room? I hope your little guy is all better now...Such a fun paper pieced card...love the fun stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this paper-piecing card! It looks FAB on kraft cs! Hope all things are "sorted out" ( any sighting of the penny?) and that everything is a-OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love your "chicken scratch" stitching on this! so fun! super card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stories make me laugh as much as your cards make me smile! Great Job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this card with " chicken scratch ". I made a card with this sewing not long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so darling! Love those cute little chicks! Great job with the Moxie Fab challenge!

    ♥♥♥Lea

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want those chickens! they are fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I feel like a bad blog friend not having read this post yet! The ER at Easter?? Poor little guy, poor mommy. You are a terrific mother....you go camping ;)LOL Love this country flair mother's day card. Great paper piecing and smart idea with the colouring page. Like the chicken scratch stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How CUTE are those chickens! Love this. totally adorable.
    Sorry about the ER trip. I'm sure that was so stressful, but I have no doubt about your mothering skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no... i hate to hear of the ER trip. We had a similar experience just last week (i think... right after my grandpa died... losing track of time) with my autistic nephew... scary stuff! Hope everything has been good since! :) Your card is adorable... so fun! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute chicken card!! ooh I love this. Its so cute with the kraft paper and the contrast with the white chicken. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great concept, Karen! :) I love the creative stitching... it really completes the card. :) Hope your little one is doing well. Thanks for participating in my challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so great! I love the image you used & your piecing is wonderful- the chicken scratch stitching really finishes it off so well! So sorry I haven't read this before now (catching up!) I hope your son is ok!! It's never fun being in the ER!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is too cute!! Love your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Karen! Thanks so much for entering the Picking Up the Pieces Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely card, and really funny.
    I hope your son is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay Karen!! Congrats on getting a Moxie Fab shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very adorable! Thanks for sharing.
    Come by my blog and see me.

    Carol B
    www.scraphappystudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun and modern mother's day card...I love it. The chicken scratch stitching is a fabulous touch. Congrats on your MFW shout out too and thanks for checking out my blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete