Monday, April 26, 2010

Quite Contrary



Mary Mary quite contrary, How does your garden grow? With silver bells and cockle shells. And pretty maids all in a row.

Such a lovely little rhyme I was humming in my head when creating this card, all these pretty felt flowers lined up in a row. Upon finding the correct verbiage for the poem, I ran into the historical origins. I don't care to find out the true meaning of a nursery rhyme again anytime soon. Oh dear, how complicated. I think I shall just remember the poem as I did when I was little, so much more fun that way.

These felt flowers fell from their container and were a perfect match to jump start a card for The Curtain Call Color Challenge. Along with the pink flowers, I added a celery green ribbon leaf and rose stitching to hold them in place, as I've seen some talented designers do with other shapes. I'm happy that I kept this card clean and simple instead of complicated, I think it's so much more fun that way.

Supplies Used: Cardstock: Georgia Pacific White, SU Pink Pirouette, Stamps: SU Wonderful Words Rubber Stamp Set Ink: SU Certainly Celery Pigment Ink Embellishments: Felt Flowers from Flower Fusion SU, Pearls from Queen & Co. Tools: Fiskars Scallop Border Punch Other: Thread

19 comments:

  1. Oh I love the single ribbon leaf! That pop of green adds so much interest. I'm definitely adding this one to my CASE file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This card is stunning! I'm going to have to check out that challenge! I LOVE those colors! LOVE how you sewed right over all the flowers and love the colored scallop at the bottom. Plus that font is one of my FAVS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty, Karen! love the pearl centers and stitching across those sweet felties:) thanks for playing the Curtian Call!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, love your stitching! Thanks for playing along with the Curtain Call Crew this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to giggle at the post. My mother use to recite that bit of poetry every time I was being difficult...which was often. I still enjoy being contrary. LOL

    Anyhow, I love the this card! The stitching across the flowers is wonderful and unexpected and the ribbon leaf is a bright idea. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so incredibly soft & pretty! Your creativity & diversity amaze me!
    AND...did I see your name as one of Ali's winners? If so, CONGRATS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the felt flowers and ribbon leaf. Thanks for playing the Curtain call :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made such a pretty card, Karen!
    I love the stitching and the "clean and simple look". However, it doesn't lack detail in any way! Perfect for Spring! Great job! :)

    By the way... CONGRATS on making top 10 in the Kristina Werner challenge! You totally deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this card Karen! What a wonderful idea these flowers aligned and sewn. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love love love this, Karen!! so simple and beautiful! wow! fab card! congrats on making Kristina's one layer top 10! love your fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so adore felt...your card is so sweet...love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, Clean & Simple, card. The stitching across the flowers is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great card, I love what you have done with the stitching, the pearls really set it off! thanks for playing along with us this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I AM SO BEHIND ON YOUR BLOG!!! I continue to be AMAZED at ALL the beautiful work you turn out. AND, you're such a sweetheart to stop by and comment on my work. I wouldn't have even known I was highlighted on Embellish if not for your nice comment. {I've been taking a blog break to get some things done around the house.} Thanks for all of your inspiration and kindness.

    BTW, I love your stitching through all of the flowers---it's stunning. I'll be back to soak in some more when I get another break...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful. I love the stitched detail and the single ribbon "leaf" and the soft texture of the felt and the pearls and ... well, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how soft this card looks! Love the pearls too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! Love the stitching across the flowers and your ribbon leaf... what a fab idea... will have to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete