Thursday, January 10, 2013

It Is That Awesome


My oldest child has been saying some pretty grown up things lately, using words that I wouldn't really expect. Something like "What a coincidence" or "That is very irrational". Sometimes they are said in context, sometimes not. There are times, though, that he is still very much a nine year old boy. We often here "It is that Awesome!" preceded by a "wow" and followed usually by the endearments "mama" or "papa."


There's a round of applause going on at CAS-ual Fridays Challeng Blog! The new challenge is to create a clean and simple project that celebrates an accomplishment and features at least one circle. This week's sponsor is CAS-ual Fridays Stamps! I invite you swing on by the CAS-ual Fridays Challenge Blog to see the amazing inspiration from the Girl Fridays, read the challenge rules and find out more about this week's challenge and prize.


My card today started out with a yellow card base (Yes, you really are here at The Bald Dragonfly!) that had been altered with a few droplets of spray mist. I then added three layered rows of washi tape on the bottom and stamped the sentiment four times, each time moving to a lighter shade of yellow. Do you like the sentiment? It is a sneak peak of a January Release from CAS-ual Fridays Stamps! Now...I'm writing this post and thinking out loud...did I break the rules? Are dots considered circles?

Today's Tip: If your comfort zone includes white, kraft or cream card bases, break outside of it and embrace color! Experiment with the same shades or hues, and saturation of the color for added interest in your design.

27 comments:

  1. This is an awesome card indeed.
    Love the graduated stamping and the bold colours.

    Your boy sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' your sentment! It's another great card Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't kids amaze you sometimes - those sponges they have in their heads called brains...
    Thanks for using colored CS. Definitely need to do that more, although white will always be my first love.
    Just curious about your "droplets". How do you create them? ´Flicking the unscrewed sprayer? Using an eyedropper? I just tried both and am not satisfied yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at my card and if you broke the rules...so did I with my polka dots :) Your card truly is awesome and I need to get into the color for sure!!

    And...smiling at your sweet boys...Marcel got in bed the other night and said, "wow...this room really does look like a disaster." Hmm...thinking he's heard that somewhere else? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are writing these little things he says down into a journal so that when he is older you can give it to him.
    Love the card. The colors, the layout, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the bright base of this card. The repeated sentiment, is well.... awesome! (couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Awesome' card Karen, love the bright yellow and orange. It is so exciting when we start to hear grown up words and phrases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness your little guy sounds so fun! I remember when ours picked up the word bodacious at school LOL! Your card is super Karen, love the the fading sentiment and dots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. girl this is AWESOME...loving all the yellow and orange..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, this is such a happy card. The colors are gorgeous. I especially love your layered words and how the small dots above it create movement.Does your washi tape sometimes need a little bit of persuasion to stay in place? I have tried a couple of brands and they tend to pop back up on the ends unless I use additional adhesive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, indeed, this is awesome! I love the sunny colors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO AWESOME...I think dots are circles. ;) I can relate to your son's grown up comments... LOL! I find it scary that my girls know things I don't. They just educated me recently with, and I quote, "Mom, you DON'T KNOW what a Quinceañera is?". It was on "Go On" and I was clueless. I've come complete circle~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous card -love the graduated colours on the sentiment and the splotches too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see a bunch of cirlces on your card!!

    LOL at your sons new lingo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome, Karen! Love the yellows and droplets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How courageous of you to use yellow and orange. I find lots neutral colored bases in my stash of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the popping color of your card, Karen!! Stunning with the repetition:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such great design! Love this bright and fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the fading sentiment and the washi tapes rock! Also totally diggin' the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love your card
    and i thank you for your tip!
    You're absolutely right, i need to play with colored cardstock more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. rule breaker and yellow... now that's awesome...friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why yes, that is awesome! I love the yellow card base! And the repeated stamping looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is an AWESOME! card. LOVE yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your card is AWESOME!! lol Yes, I had to do that! Nice and bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm just loving your cards Karen. Everything you're turning out is fabulous!! Love this one especially. Very retro and amazing.

    ReplyDelete