Thursday, March 11, 2010

Deconstructed Doilies




It began by a discovery of Vintage Violet Ink stacked in my pile of ink pads (you know, because doilies for the most part are vintage, right?), then continued by aging the bright white newly obtained paper doilies with a spritz of Vintage Violet and alcohol. Then I realized that I wanted to try something different. I wanted to see if I could make the doilies have a bit of a modern edge to them. So I cut them up and paired them with a graphic stamp and added a bit of flash. I sadly realized that I don't think a doily can ever look modern, there's just too much of a home-like, just-baked Grandma's cookies edge to them. Oh well, it turned out better in my head, I tried some new products and techniques, my fingers turned purple and I cut the doilies while watching my favorite shows (Criminal Minds and CSI:NY-awesome last night, by the way)...This is my first ever tall card, and is finished with a touch of doily lace trim on the bottom. Created for the Moxie Fab World Challenge: Diggin' on Doilies & Lace.

Supplies Used: SU Vintage Violet and Kraft Cardstock, SU Vintage Violet, Lavender Lace and White Craft Ink, SU In the Spotlight Stamp Set, Heidi Grace Thanks Stamp Set, White Paper Cake Doilies, White Grosgrain Ribbon, Rhinestones from Michaels, Fiskars Corner Rounder Punch, Mini Mister, Rubbing Alcohol

16 comments:

  1. Nice work Karen!!! I bet stores are wondering why they keep selling doilies so much lately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative with this lace design! Beautiful job, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! love how you used those doilies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun! I love what you did with these! And did I see that you won one of the Moxie Fab Olympics! Woo Hoo. I was so excited for you! That card was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's beautiful! What's not to like? Great color combination with white doilies against the kraft c/s and vintage violet ink. Even the rounded corner adds to the design. It must've been really gorgeous in your head if it was better than this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous look! I love your take on the doilies!! And you're SO sweet to stop by with congrats!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen,
    Your card is fabulous and your blog is wonderful! Count me in as a new follower! Wow!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Love how you've used the doilies! Great job with the Moxie Fab Doily challenge!

    ♥♥♥Lea

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty. I have seen so many dollies lately. I totally need some! This card is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card! Love how you did the doilies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card for the MF challenge! Love the design, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT details on the doilies! FAB card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool and creative! Love how you cut the doilies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Karen! Thanks so much for entering the Diggin' on Doilies and Lace challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

    ReplyDelete