Thursday, March 4, 2010

Retro Holidays




(First, I know that we are coming up on spring and I want the snow and cold to be gone and I shouldn't be creating a Christmas Card, but I'm trying to go for all the categories in the Moxie Fab Olympics of Stamping Challenge...)

Second, here's a quick story. About eight or so years ago, I went to my grandmother's house to help her decorate for Christmas. I brought box after box up from their basement of decorations and gasped each time one was opened. In these boxes were beautiful, vintage glass ornaments. You see, my grandmother used to clean house for some really wealthy people. I mean the kind of people who build a huge house just to show it off. And before getting new decorations every year for your tree at Christmas was the "in thing to do", these people did it. Like over fifty years ago. So when they didn't want the ornaments anymore, my grandma was the wonderful recipient. And she never throws anything away. Being newly married and hardly having anything for our tree, grandma gave me some of these gorgeous ornaments without me having to beg and plead for them. Love her! I treasure these a lot, especially the angel that sits atop of the tree every year.

This card reminds me of the time that these ornaments where-originally-trendy. I love the green color that isn't quite a bright green, the pink that isn't quite red, those quirky little snowflakes floating around in the back that are so very retro-ish. I love the silky-ess and regalness of the big bow gilted with gold and the itty bitty pearl stuck on the ornament to add a touch of class.

Supplies Used: SU River Rock Cardstock, SU Very Vanilla Cardstock, Inkadinkadoo Peppermint Twist Stamp Set, SU Pretty in Pink, River Rock, Bravo Burgandy Ink, Versamark Ink, Rangers Distress Ink in Walnut, SU Gold Thread, Fiskars Corner Round Punch, Pearl and Ribbon (unknown)

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty!! Love the distressing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice story! I really like your accents, especially the sweet pearl and gold cord! :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great story! Love your card too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so very talented. I wouldn't mind a Christmas card like this. ~ Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Karen! Thanks for entering the Olympics of Stamping Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

    ReplyDelete