Sunday, March 21, 2010

Truth About Purple...& Lace



I don't really like the color purple. I find it hard to work with. It may stem from growing up as an identical twin, as I always chose pink, my sister purple. Maybe it is because I have two boys now and nothing around is purple to convince me to like it. I agree with Kim Hughes: Purple. "It's pretty... well, that's all I have to say about it." I also pulled out lace for the Caardvarks Lacy Days Challenge. I feel the exact same way about lace as I do purple. Even though my preference isn't to pull out purple paper products and lace, I still did and had just a teensy bit of fun doing it (ok, making any kind of card is fun...) For this card, I first cut a circle from the front, layered the scalloped lace behind it and then stitched the two together. To cover the mess from the inside, I adhered a white panel, that showcased the lacy texture nicely, I think. I then added the lace border, pearls and buttons to contradict/compliment (can work either way) the frilly-ness of the lace. For the sentiment, I colored chipboard with black and added Glossy Accents to match the pearls.

Supplies Used: SU Vintage Violet, Whisper White and Pale Plum Cardstock, Lil' Davis Designs Stripped Chip Alphabet Playtime, Lace by Offray, CM Circle Cutting System, Queen & Co. Pearls in Nightfall, Ranger Glossy Accents, SU Basic Black Marker, Button (no source), DMC Floss, Thread

This is my second post for today, if you have time to check out my two other cards for Kim's challenge, please do!

10 comments:

  1. This is some frilly, girly fabulousness Karen! And I agree on the purple front. Maybe because for me it feels like a sympathy color and it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful!! Even though you don't like purple and lace that much, you totally ROCKED with them. Thanks for joining us at Caardvarks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! I'm not a fan if purple but I do love lace:). You've done an excellent job and good for you for challenging yourself to use the things you don't ordinarily gravitate to!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...great card. I love purple, but find I have a hard time when making cards in purple...maybe it's the cardstock. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful job! I love the cut out circle idea with layered lace! Very innovative! I like how you pared it with the more contemporary glossy accents.
    I don't believe I've ever tried a lace project. I don't even have any in the house...not even for my daughters dresses. I think I have an aversion to it from all frilly itchy dress my grandmother dressed me in. I do love the colour purple but it's never one that I reach for when I'm crafting...I'm not too sure why. I buy the paper, ribbon, and buttons in purple but it hardly gets used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm not a purple fan either. But you did a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Love the stitching around the lacy circle!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I LOVE purple and I LOVE this card! The letters are FAB and I LOVE the button that dots the "i"

    ReplyDelete