Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Story of the Butterfly


After last week's catechism class, my oldest son shared with me that they learned about the significance of Easter. Here's an insert from his packet: The butterfly is one of the symbols to signify Easter and the life of Christ. First, there is the caterpillar, which stands for His life on Earth. Second, comes the cocoon stage, portraying the crucifixion and burial of Jesus. The third and final stage is the beautiful butterfly, representing His raising from the dead in a glorified body. Wow, what an amazing way to explain the significance of Easter to a child. Of course, he then proceeded to ask when the Easter Bunny was going to come, so I'm not sure he retained much...
I haven't wanted to stamp much because I've felt a little bit down due to recent circumstances (i.e. the submission email acceptance never came...) but I came across a very intriguing site and challenge that made me smile, made me think, and let me enjoy creating again: Happily Ever Challenged #4 - A CRAFTy Easter! from Ted at Happily Ever Crafter. So fun, please check it out! I had lots of enjoyment shifting around items in my closet to find things that would fit.
C=Cardstock R=Red Ribbon and Rhinestones A=Antique Distressing F=Flocked Paper T=Thread
I absolutely adore this card now and I think mostly because it was created with so much symbolism. The butterfly in general, the red ribbon for His blood, the aged look. Aah, it feels good to be back!

Supplies Used: SU Kraft Cardstock, Ivory Cardstock from Paper Company, Flocked DSP from Heidi Grace, PTI Mixed Messages, Stazon Ink in Jet Black, Walnut Distress Ink from Ranger, SU Butterfly Die, SU Real Red Satin Ribbon, Fiskars Scallop Border Punch,Rhinestones from Michaels, Thread

13 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning! Gorgeous creation and beautiful story. Thanks for sharing, I will share that with my boys.

    On feeling "rejected", I hate to hear about people feeling that way. Remember, art is an expression of yourself, a way to share yourself with others. Therefore everything you create is beautiful. Just stay true to yourself and create what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I love this card and the meaning behind the butterfly. Such a beautiful story and the colors you chose were spot-on! Thanks for playing along with the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This butterfly card is utterly beautiful. I love the little lesson that your son learned about Easter! Just keep creating, Karen, and remember to have FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Karen--love all the distressing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Karen, lovin' your butterfly card...great details on the butterfly and I love all the distressing...have a super evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning,eye catching creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful butterfly card! fabulous design! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this card. The pop of red is so unexpected, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your story that goes along with your card is wonderful.
    As far as the submissions go...I have discovered there is sooo very much talent out here in this new "blogging" world, but it DOES NOT diminish YOUR talent. You just never know what the folks doing the judging are looking for. I know exactly how you feel. Friends and family make you feel like a star, but it seems to dim when you are surrounded by so many others. But keep the faith, and think about this...submit all your work, not just your "favorites". I haven't gotten that email yet either, girl, but I have found that frequently the stuff I like the least (I'm speaking of mine) draws the most positive comments. (go figure). Believe in yourself, and remember why you started making cards. For the love of it? You are good. It will come. Believe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous Karen! I had never thought of the describing the life, death and resurrection of Jesus in that way. AWESOME! I will have to remember that! I think I will have to make some Easter cards with butterflies! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen....you create amazing projects!! I hope you are submitting to Paper Crafts magazine often :)

    Kim Hughes
    Paper Crafts Go-to Gal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is such an elegant and beautiful card. The red ribbon on the sentiment really pops it off the card. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete