Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Little Birdie...





A little birdie told me to keep trying to push myself, keep creating, and do it for me. I like to spend some time after the kiddos go to bed just creating, it helps me to unwind, it's my stress relief. Sometimes they go to bed so good, other nights I hardly have time. I take what I can get!

The basis of this card started from wanting to use the clouds from the You're Dandy stamp set, as they were feeling a bit neglected. I found some blue fabric (please forgive me I have no idea what kind, any takers?) and tried a few things, as I knew I also wanted to have a go at Everything but the Kitchen Sink's latest challenge. White craft ink worked fine, but I wanted something brighter, with a bit more dimension. I then got out my acrylic paints, the cheap kind, and there you have it-fluffy, white, dimensional clouds. After I had a backdrop setting, my first instinct was to create a butterfly but then I realized that I've been using butterflies perhaps a bit too often, and what if I wanted to make this a gender neutral card? That led me to Google Image Search, where I found, drew and hand cut the black silhouette of the little birdie sitting in a tree, way high up in the sky. I added the green ruffled ribbon (not so much a gender neutral anymore, but at least I used green!) for a pop of color and to somewhat ground the card. The base of the card is cut a bit skinny, so that the fabric could overhand to show off the natural fraying at the end. Well, thanks for taking this journey with me. Creating this card was a good experience: I tried some new stuff and new techniques, and I let my own creativity be seen, I think.

Supplies Used: SU Whisper White Cardstock, Black Screen Print Paper, Blue Fabric, SU Old Olive Satin Ribbon, Practicing Creativity You're Dandy Stamp Set, SU Congrats Stamp Set, White Acrylic Paint, Stazon Ink in Black, SU Corner Rounder Punch, Black Thread

10 comments:

  1. FABULOUS! I'm glad that the birdie is RIGHT! You should always try new things....you just never know what it will take you! Love this card with the fabric for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Karen!!! Love the effect the acrylic paint had on the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog--I just became a follower of yours!! Your cards are stunning!! I especially love this one--the ribbon treatments is awesome. I still have to think up a fabric idea for the EBTKS challenge.
    Yea--I can't justify the price of Copics--my crayons will do just fine for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen this is so fantastic. I love everything about it. The texture of the fabric, the black on the blue, the paint used with the clouds. Girl you're totally on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen! I print all of the digital pages I create, whether it's in a photobook or individually. I just love the finished printed result! BTW, I just love this card! I LOVE clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome Karen! Love the clouds stamped on that blue fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is one gorgeous and impressive card. All the work you put into it really payed off (wonderful hand drawn and cut out bird silhouette...I would love to try that out and also silhouettes of people which are another favorite of mine) and the stamping of clouds on the fabric is fantastic (I love clouds!)

    And thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is fantastic. Great stitching and texture. Those clouds are perfect!!!

    I understand perfectly about the kids...I have 3 of my own and bed time can be such a gong show that by the time I'm done putting them all to bed I just want to veg in front of the tv (or comp). But I find that feel way more pumped after I've created something amazing like you did here!! Happy crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Great idea using the paint for the clouds, it gives a nice texture! And the colors are so pretty! Thanks for playing with us in the EBTKS challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOOOOOVE the paint-clouds! What a great take on this challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete