Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Red Wagon



Seems like the latest trend in papercrafting is to use fabric, and I'm lucky that me and my Janome Sew Mini get along! Here's a card I made for the latest Embellish Magazine Challenge: Fabric. Humor me as I walk you through the steps, as I felt the creativity flowing through my fingers for this one. I stamped the medallion in blue chalk ink on a kraft panel, cut it to size, distressed and then added white craft ink to the edges. (Note to self, if attempting this again, thoroughly let the white ink dry before sewing!) Then I cut the designer paper to size and sewed both the medallion panel and the paper panel to the card base with green thread. I then cut two scallop strips out of white muslin and sewed them together with a banner of red grosgrain ribbon. I colored parts of the medallion in with a white gel pen and topped it with a flat back button. The finishing touch was to add the sentiment in the bottom corner. None of this was how I originally planned my card, but I let my compulsiveness go and the creativity take over.

Supplies Used: SU Kraft Cardstock, CTMH DSP, SU Medallion and So Many Sayings Stamp Sets, Colorbox Chalk Ink in Ocean Breeze and Creamy Brown, SU White Craft Ink, Signo White Gel Pen, Fine Lines Red Grosgrain Ribbon by Morex Corp., Button (unknown source), SU Distresser, Thread



Curious about the title of the post, other than having the color red in my card? Last night our youngest son decided to haul both our kitties in the wagon, who promptly decided they enjoyed the ride and the warmth and stayed there all evening. This of course, was after he decided to color his head with a purple-not washable marker- all the while the oldest was laughing!

16 comments:

  1. Love the big medallion and your distressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Karen! That fabric is way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your card Karen...I keep spying that fabbie SU Medallion stamp...it really is gorgeous! Such fun photos...your young man seems like such the whipper snapper:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card, Karen! Love the placement of the colors with the fabric! Thanks for sharing your cutie pie's picture!! He is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Karen. How did you cut your scallops so perfectly?? I love your distressing and stitching. You did a wonderful job for the colour challenge. I haven't yet been inspired for that one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is wonderful! LOVE that blue, love that medallion image. LOVE that little giggle on your grandons face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous card! Love your use of the colors and fabric! So glad you could join us in the Embellish challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful card! love the design! your little wagon story makes me smile. so cute! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job with the challenge. I love your description of how you made it, and the photos are so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic card, Karen! Looks like old ceiling tin to me. I just love the look of chalk ink on kraft...I'll have to remember to play with that again soon!

    Yea, my daughter did that once with ball point pen. She couldn't find any paper, so she drew all over some of my receipts and when she ran out of room, she headed straight for her face, ALL over her face...including her ears!! Believe it or not, baby wipes took most of it off. And the drawing on your face thing seems to be in the genes because her big brother Always has marker on his face whenever they use them in class that day.....kidlets! Love the kitties in the wagon story. :> The kitty on the right looks a lot like my Mom's cat, Dexter. Hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning card, love the details and how you combined all the colours so beautifully xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card and I love the pics... too cute! Cute kitties and cute kiddy! :) Markers on forehead and all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. STUNNING card and funny story about the kitties and the permanent marker! I remember those days!(sigh, my only son is 18). Anyway LOVE the medallion and all the fabric and the sewing. FAB Card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoops! Hopefully it will wash off quickly! LOL! Gotta love kids, right? And I love your card- you have such a great style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card is gorgeous, Karen! Fabulous entry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous card, Karen! Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete